LINC - Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada Programs
At Bredin there are LINC (English language) programs that are designed to improve Listening, Speaking, Writing and Reading. Classes are offered at two different levels. On the higher level, classes are offered at Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level 8 and above. Learners with 7s (and one or 2 6s) to CLB 8s and above are supported in achieving their goals of improving English for further achievement in workplace or academics. These programs focus on enhancing your listening and reading comprehension to write and speak clearly and effectively. By completing one of these classes you will be in a better position to advance your career skills and abilities and be a more highly sought after employee in the Canadian workplace.
On the low level, learners from the basic level are supported until they achieve Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 4. These classes support you to become fully functional in Canadian life. LINC is funded by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
Steps in our process
- Formally assess your language skills at the beginning, middle and end of the class and use the informal formative portfolio-based assessments alongside to more accurately and comprehensively track your progress.
- Develop grammar, reading, and writing skills while allowing you some choice in practicing tasks relevant to you.
- Work with you in order for you to improve your skills to gain an academic place, succeed in employment, or become functional in Canadian life because newcomers may still have skill gaps or language barriers
- Registration and start dates are on-going throughout the year for all LINC classes.
The programs available are
- LINC 8+ (Part time) Evening Class if you are unable to attend throughout the day
- LINC 8+ Language (Full time) Day class
- LINC 8+ Essential Skills (Full time) Day class if you also need to improve your Essential Skills: Reading, Writing, document use, oral communication, numeracy, digital technology, critical thinking, working with others, and continuous learning
- LINC 1-2 (Full time) Day class
- LINC 3-4 (Full time) Day class
- LINC 1-2 (Part time) Evening class if you are unable to attend throughout the day
- LINC 3-4 (Part time) Evening class if you are unable to attend throughout the day