Workplace Essential Skills Training in the 1-STEP Settlement ProgramThe Bredin Centre for Learning is pleased to offer through the 1-STEP Settlement Program the Workplace Essential Skills Training. This is a 10-week program that provides literacy training through Essential Skills upgrading. The goal of this program is for Newcomers to be more marketable to Canadian employers by equipping them with the rights skills to become successful in the Canadian workplace.
Workplace Essential Skills Training at Bredin will help Newcomers to:
- Identify, plan and improve skills to be successful in performing everyday tasks at home and especially in the Canadian workplace.
- Engage in innovative online training and develop skills necessary for future professional development and post-secondary training.
- Assist with career planning (both short and long-term) as well as confirm readiness for employment and/or educational training.
- Assist in identifying existing skill levels in comparison to skill levels required for an occupation of interest.
- Identify areas for skills enhancement and development learning plans or a plan of action.
- Have a chance to work closely with your Workplace Essential Skills Coach who will custom design the course based on your needs and challenges.
- Build your skills and apply them during the in class workshops working with your Workplace Essential Skills Coach and other Essential Skills clients taking the training.
What are Essential Skills?
Essential Skills are for work, learning and life. They allow individuals to effectively perform everyday life and job tasks, create the basic foundation for learning other skills and help to adapt to changes in the workplace. The nine essential skills are Reading, Document Use, Numeracy, Writing, Oral Communication, Working with Others, Thinking Skills, Computer Use, and Continuous Learning.
- Client of Bredin Centre
- Permanent Resident status or individuals to be Permanent Residence of Canada with a Canadian Language Benchmark level 5 (CLBA 5)
- Basic computer skills
- Attendance of mandatory classroom workshops at Bredin Centre
- Assignments are completed at home during your own time, allowing for a flexible schedule if you are currently employed.
- Sorting: Most Commented
- Least Commented